Men: Catch these Valentine’s Day ideas that will have her swooning morning, noon and night.
We’re one week away from Valentine’s day and yes, the pressure is on! If you haven’t already planned your romantic extravaganza, here are a few sweet and simple ideas that are sure to warm his/her heart. As a Vancouver food blog, these ideas and items are specific to places to visit in Vancouver; however, I’m hoping you can easily make adaptations for wherever you and your sweetie are!
We’ve taken the Morning, Noon, and Night approach because hey, it’s the thought that counts! The little things will show her that you’re thinking of him/her throughout the day (and we love that!) Plus, these ideas require just a hint of forethought and planning (and we love that, too!)
VALENTINE’S DAY MORNING
Breakfast in Bed – Yup, the pancakes, fresh berries, coffee, and orange juice. A single cut flower, in a cup.
- Bonus points if you serve it on a tray
- Double bonus if it’s carried on a fancy cutting board.
- Hint: The retail shop at Edible Canada has tons of foodie gift ideas!
Yogurt Parfait – For at home or on the go!
- Berries on the bottom, yogurt in the middle, granola on top!
- Hint #1: If you’re making this to-go, put the granola in a Ziploc bag to keep it from getting soggy.
- Hint #2: Terra Breads makes a mean granola!
Smoothie – Valentine’s Day is (unfortunately) a work day!
- A smoothie is a quick, healthy, and refreshing to-go option.
- Also, if you do it right, it comes out pink! How festive.
- Hint: Here’s a really reliable recipe…from my own kitchen!
Simple Valentine’s Day Smoothie – makes 1 serving
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1 banana
- handful of berries (strawberries/blueberries are best!)
- splash of orange juice or fresh orange
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (trust me!)
- …and blend until smooth! Voila!
Lunch bag – Pack an old-fashioned paper lunch bag!
No peeking – it will be a fun mid-day surprise. A homemade sandwich is certainly acceptable, but you can add some sophistication with these treats:
- Cake in a Cup – From Vancouver’s own Bluebird Cakery comes this genius idea: Cake in a Cup! A divine treat for the afternoon slump. Find it at Urban Fare (Yaletown and Shangri-La locations only)
- Cookies – Another sure-fire win from Bluebird Cakery! Stocked at Urban Fare. (Yaletown/Shangri-La locations only)
- Gift card – If you don’t have time to make something at home, grab a $20 gift card from her favourite lunch spot! Despite the Friday workday, you’ll still be able to “treat her to lunch.”
Picnic – Make a stop at Granville Island Public Market and assemble a one-person picnic!
A few fancy cheese slices, crackers, olives and gourmet meats will make for an impressive “packed lunch!” Our recommendations:
- Cheese & Crackers – from Benton Brothers
- Meats – from Oyama Sausage Company
- Fruit – something local and in-season from any of the produce stands
As I mentioned, if you haven’t already planned your romantic extravaganza, this post is for you. That being said, it’s not too late to make a dinner reservation. Here are a few places to visit in Vancouver that feature special Valentine’s Day Menus:
- Fable – $50, 4-Course Menu
- Graze – For veggie lovers! $45, $55, and $65 menus. The $65 includes a glass of champagne.
- Market by Jean-Georges – $95. Their menu at least deserves a glance! Highlights from the 4-course menu include: Fois Gras Brulee and Steamed Lobster
- Minami – $150 per couple. 4-courses + amuse bouche + dessert + sake pairing. View menu here.
- Secret Location – $75, 10-course tasting menu. The courses change daily, but they’ve given us a hint for Valentine’s day…it’ll be red!
Flowers, chocolate, and wine are at the forefront of Valentine’s Day, and they’re here to stay. As a Vancouver food blog, I’ll leave the flowers out of this… but for the latter two, here are our recommendations:
- Chocolate – Kokomonk on W 1st Avenue. The fresh, Belgian chocolate is made on-site and crafted into flavours found nowhere else in the world. Seriously!
- Wine – Cupcake Wine. A playful bottle that is perfectly on-theme for Valentine’s! This California wine has recently found it’s way to Vancouver liquor stores. There are 18 varieties, both red and white.
Bring out the swagger – you’ll knock it out of the park this Valentine’s Day! If you have other ideas and recommendations, please feel free to spread the love!