Welcome to VFT’s 2014 Holiday Gift Guide! For the next 4 weeks, it’s here that we’ll be sharing our favourite holiday gift ideas and Christmas activities in Vancouver. We’re certainly not the only ones publishing a “Gift Guide,” and rightfully so – inspiration for the perfect gift can come when you least expect it!
But, foodies will know that a party without a cake is just a meeting, and a gift guide without a giveaway is just a long list. And so, with every post, we’ll be giving away a special something to our online community to celebrate the spirit of the season. Whether you use the prize for yourself or for your perfect holiday gift idea, it’s up to you! Here’s to the Christmas season!
***This week’s feature prize: A bag of single origin coffee from JJ Bean (as featured on our Granville Island Market Tour) and a $20 gift certificate to JJ Bean.***
To enter to win, follow us on one (or all) of the following channels and:
- ON FACEBOOK: Find our contest post and tag 2 coffee lovers you know!
- ON TWITTER @vanfoodietours: Retweet any of our Holiday Guide posts
- ON INSTAGRAM @vanfoodietours: Find our contest post and tag 2 coffee lovers you know!
- RIGHT HERE: Leave us a comment below!
Winner will be randomly selected on December 3, 2014! Good luck!
This week’s feature Christmas Activity in Vancouver: The Christmas Market opens this Saturday at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre!
According to a study by the Coffee Association of Canada in 2013, coffee is the #1 beverage of choice for adults in our nation. On an average day, two-thirds of all adults in Canada drink coffee, and of those people, we consume an average of 3.2 cups per day.
Our recommendation of “all things coffee” as a perfect Christmas gift idea is two-fold. Coffee is a staple (a necessity, if you will) in many households. If you don’t have the luxury of drinking premium coffee every morning, gifting a bag of high-quality, fresh-roasted beans is sure to impress. If one is committed to a particular blend, consider the coffee accessories (french presses, coffee grinders, perfect mugs) that come in all price ranges and styles. We found this little line up of goodies at the JJ Bean in one of Vancouver’s historic attractions: The Marine Building.
If you don’t feel 100% about coffee as your holiday gift idea, it’s a good plan to test the waters by casually bringing it up in conversation. We leave you with a few interesting facts about coffee that are sure to break the ice:
- “Espresso” – the literal translation in Italian = “when something is forced out”
- The oldest cat (as recorded by the Guiness Book of Records) lived until 38, was named Cream Puff, and was fed coffee every morning.
- There is a coffee spa in Japan
- Ice coffee is almost always more expensive that hot coffee because it takes additional resources and time to prepare.
- After oil, coffee is the most-traded commodity on Earth.
- Coffee grows on trees. The bean is actually a seed found inside of these bright red berries…one could make an argument that coffee is a fruit!
Thanks for the read, Foodies! Don’t forget to enter to win this week’s prize – we’ll see you here next week!