***As a special treat for the fifth and final week of our Seafood Series, we want to send you and a friend to this year’s Spot Prawn Boil at Fisherman’s Wharf on Sunday, May 17 at 2:00pm. Read on to enter to win!***
Seafood lovers in Vancouver will know – The Spot Prawn Boil at Fisherman’s Wharf on Granville Island is the first mark of summer. As a celebration of Vancouver’s most highly-coveted seafood delicacy, thousands of foodies will flock to Granville Island to watch the fishing boats come in and to have their first taste of spot prawns, which are cooked right on site. The jovial event marks the start of a glorious 6-8 week spot prawn season.
Until a few years ago, almost 100% of BC’s spot prawn harvest was frozen and sold in Asia. Thankfully, a few local Vancouver chefs stood up for the cause, advocating that the city deserved to keep, taste, and be educated on the annual spot prawn harvest. Each year, the Spot Prawn Festival grows in scope and the Spot Prawn Boil is almost sure to sell-out of their tickets. This year’s line-up for the Cooking Stage includes chefs from: Hawksworth Restaurant, Kaya Malay Bistro, The Beach House Restaurant and more.
What’s the big deal about Vancouver’s Spot Prawns?
- Spot prawns are considered to be a delicacy. They are bigger, sweeter, and juicier than most prawns. You’ll just have to taste one to understand!
- Vancouver’s spot prawns and BC’s harvest are certified Ocean Wise products. This means that they are harvested with minimal bycatch or habitat impact.
Where can I enjoy spot prawns in Vancouver?
- Read on! We’re giving away tickets to the Spot Prawn Boil!
- Vancouver restaurants featuring spot prawns include: C Restaurant, Hapa Izakaya, Yew Restaurant, Reflections Lounge, Fishworks, Edible Canada at the Market. See the full list of restaurants here.
Can I prepare spot prawns on my own?
We asked Chef de Cuisine of Edible Canada at the Market, Alvin, “What’s the coolest thing about spot prawns in Vancouver?”
Alvin replied, “The coolest thing about spot prawns in Vancouver is their accessibility. Whether you are a trained chef, home cook, or avid foodie, you can head down to the docks at Fisherman’s Wharf and enjoy the freshest and best spot prawns in the world. My favourite way to prepare spot prawns is nice and simple! Get them fresh and put them on the grill, just long enough that the colour starts to change. Delicious!”
Okay, I’m salivating! How can I enter to win a pair tickets to the Spot Prawn Boil?
- LIKE us on Facebook and tag a foodie friend in our Spot Prawn Boil Contest Post (1 entry), and/or
- FOLLOW us on Twitter and post the following (1 entry):
“RT to enter to win 2 tickets to @spotprawnfest from @vanfoodietours! #SeafoodSeries”
Contest closes Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 9:00 am PST. Winner will be selected from valid entries and notified by 9:00am PST on Friday, May 14, 2015. The prize is two (2) tickets to the 2015 Spot Prawn Boil at Fisherman’s Wharf, Sunday May 17, 2015, 2:00pm timeslot.
Best of luck and thanks for the read, Foodies! To catch up on the rest of our Seafood Series, click the links below:
Part 1: Best Oysters in Vancouver
Part 2: The Tuna All-Star Line Up
Part 3: The Best Fish & Chips in Vancouver
Part 4: Best Salmon in Vancouver