In what seems like a blink of an eye, the lazy days of Summer have started to slip away. Here at Vancouver Foodie Tours, we’re still living in denial, determined to drain every last drop of joy from Summer before Fall truly hits! We love the feeling of escape that comes from visiting the Granville Island Public Market – it’s always like Summer within those doors. Although the Public Market is teeming with life and action, there is a distinct feeling of wonder and happiness in the air. Wander, ponder, shop, chat and taste the incredible fare at the Granville Island Public Market and you’ll see what we mean!
For this week’s blog, we share three of our best recipes that feature seasonal ingredients. You’ll find that every single item can be purchased in the Granville Island Public Market (or at Edible Canada’s Retail Shop across the street). These recipes are simple, seasonal and delicious! Perhaps you’ll find your perfect excuse to escape to Granville Island soon!
What’s in Season: Golden Gala Apple
Featured on our Granville Island Market Tour
Recipe: Grilled Chicken Panini with Brie Cheese, Golden Gala Apple, and Fresh Arugula
- 1 grilled chicken breast
- 4 slices of Little Qualicum Cheeseworks Island Brie (Purchase at Benton Brothers’ Cheese)
- 1/2 Golden Gala Apple (Purchase at #1 Orchard)
- A handful of fresh arugula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Nonna Pia’s Classic Balsamic Vinegar (Purchase at Edible Canada’s Retail Shop)
- 2 slices of Terra’s Bread’s Classic Sourdough
- Butter, to taste
Mix olive oil with balsamic vinegar and brush lightly on toasted sourdough.
Layer sliced apples, brie, chicken breast, topping with a healthy serving of fresh arugula.
Spread a thin layer of butter over the top slice of bread, and place butter-side down in panini press. Butter the remaining slice of bread and close press.
Let cook for 2 minutes, or until brie begins to ooze.
Slice in half and enjoy!
What’s in Season: Basil
Fresh basil is one of the best economical buys at the Granville Island Public Market – a small bag (approx. 200g) costs $2.00
Recipe: Zesty Italian Pesto
A seasonal addition to pastas, sandwiches and fresh summer salads!
- 2 bags (400g) fresh basil
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Purchase from Benton Brothers’ Cheese)
- 1 1.2 cup olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon fresh chilli flakes
Place items in food processor and blend until smooth.
- Toss with pasta, grilled chicken strips, and fresh tomatoes for a simple and wholesome dish.
- Use as a base spread on panini sandwiches.
- Toss with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and boccocini cheese for a bright and colourful salad.
What’s in Season: Zucchini
Recipe: Tropical Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 very ripe, mashed banana
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans
Grease and flour two loaf pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Beat eggs, oil, mashed banana, sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients and mix well.
Stir in zucchini and nuts until nicely combined.
Pour batter into pans and bake for 40-60 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean.
Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.
Enjoying a hot slice with a scoop of Whisky Hazelnut Ice Cream from Earnest Ice Cream! (You can buy it on Granville Island from Edible Canada’s Retail Shop)
Bon appétit, Foodies!