Dine Out Vancouver is Canada’s largest annual food and drink festival. Presented by Tourism Vancouver, the 17-day event (January 15-31, 2016) tempts foodies and culinary enthusiasts with unique menus, gastronomic events, and celebrity chefs.
It’s been 14 years since Dine Out Vancouver began, and this year, there are 288 participating restaurants (featuring $20, $30 or $40 menus) and a whole slew of events! You could spend hours contemplating the options.
So let’s cut to the chase.
For restaurants, it’s all about the $30 category. After meticulous research, the $30 range is most-competitive category in the mix and where diners can derive the most value. Here, you’ll find Canadian legends like Edible Canada and The Oakwood who won’t be holding back on quality or portion size. For a total of $60 for 2 people, there’s remarkable value hidden here!
THE SHORT LIST OF AWESOME $30 MENUS (click for full menus):
- Edible Canada at the Market | Highlights: Canadian Cheese Molten Croquette
- Maenam | Highlights: 8 Spiced Lingcod (pictured above – a VFT favourite!)
- Forage | Highlights: Gelderman Farms Pork Belly and Crackling
- The Oakwood | Highlights: Braised Beef Shank Bourguignon
- Torafuku | Highlights: Crispy Ling Cod with Handmade Gnocchi
What about the events?
The events are a favourite part of Dine Out Vancouver, as they present unique dining opportunities that are only available during the festival. When making your selection, here’s what to keep in mind:
- Who are you dining with?
Dine Out isn’t just for date night anymore.
- What’s your price range?
It was just Christmas, after all.
- When are you free?
Reservations can be made at most Dine Out Restaurants, but many events are date-specific.
EVENTS WE’RE DROOLING OVER (in chronological order):
Winter Beer Hall by Big Rock Urban Brewing & Eatery
- Dates: January 16 only
- Purchase Tickets Here ($40)
- Perfect for a social night out, Winter Beer Hall tickets include 7oz. pours from 5 local breweries + 3-course dinner.
Breakfast for Dinner by Cafe Medina
- Dates: January 21 only
- Purchase Tickets Here ($95)
- Locals love brunch at Cafe Medina, but you’ll need to line up outside to snag a table in the mornings with their “no reservations” system. Here’s a chance to waltz to dinner with the family…and yes, liege waffles are on the menu!
Mamie’s Taylor’s Low Country Pig Roast
- Dates: January 26 only
- Purchase Tickets Here ($45)
- For a cocktail and 3-course Mamie meal, we can’t believe the value of this Dine Out event. The menu is packed with classic comfort foods, but we’re most excited for the whole-roasted suckling pig!
- Dates: January 20, 21, 22, 28, 29, 30
- Purchase Tickets Here ($90)
- The Michelin-star chef of Bauhaus Restaurant, Stefan Hartmann, is creating two unique 6-course menus inspired by world-renowned chefs – Chef Marco Pierre White and Chef Juan Amador. From Lobster Ravioli to Purple Pigeon Curry, the menus look nothing short of divine!
What if you’re “so over” Dine Out?
After 14 years, it’s reasonable for local Vancouverites to wonder “where can I go to not Dine Out?” If you’re looking to avoid the festival hubbub and simply enjoy a quality meal, there are lots of local favourites still to explore:
- Fable Restaurant
- Nicli Pizzeria Antica
- Blue Water Cafe
- Tuc Craft Kitchen
- Via Tevere