This weekend is a big one for the West Coast – the Seattle Seahawks are playing in the Superbowl! Over the years, we’ve seen the Seahawks blue/green/white flood through Vancouver, and this year, the city is ready for a celebration. We’re certainly excited about the football, but us foodies like to show our enthusiasm through the game-day snacks.
The VFT team has some experience hosting these kind of shindigs, and we’ve come up with the following criteria for the perfect Superbowl menu:
- Items must be simple to prepare. The focus of the day is football, lest we forget!
- The less ingredients, the better. A last-minute run to the grocery store on Super Bowl Sunday is not advisable.
- The snacks must be sharable, delicious, and easy to replenish.
And with that, we give you our Top 5 Superbowl Snacks, each with 3 ingredients or less!
- Green asparagus
- Bacon – we HIGHLY recommend the Applewood Smoked Bacon from one of our Granville Island Market Tour stops, Oyama Sausage Company. You’ll be tempted to ask for a thick-cut, but for the purposes of this recipe, you’ll need to resist!
Prep Time: 5 minutes + 30 minutes baking
Directions: Wrap bacon slices around asparagus and lie flat on cookie sheet. Bake on 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bacon is cooked.
Baked Brie with Pecans
- Brie Cheese – we recommend the Comox Brie by Natural Pastures Cheese. Though the company is based on Vancouver Island, you can find their brie at Benton Brothers’ Cheese on Granville Island, or at any of the Urban Fare locations downtown
- Honey – we recommend the Fireweed Honey from Chilliwack Honey in the Granville Island Public Market
- Pecans (whole)
Prep time: 2 minutes + 20 minutes baking + 10 minutes resting
Directions: Place whole cheese on baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Top with pecans and a drizzle of honey and bake again for 7-10 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before eating.
- Fresh brown mushrooms
- Soft cheese – we recommend the Herb blend by Little Qualicum Cheeseworks! Like the brie, you can find it at Benton Brothers’ on Granville Island, or at any of the Urban Fare locations in downtown Vancouver
Prep time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes baking
Directions: Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Fill mushroom tops with soft cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings
- Cooking oil
- Salt & pepper – yes, we even have a recommendation for salt! The Amola salts from Edible Canada’s retail shop add a gritty texture because of their large crystals. If you’re feeling adventurous, pick the Chilli Salt or Black Truffle Salt and enjoy your gourmet chicken wings!
Prep time: 2 minutes + 40 mins in the oven
Directions: Toss chicken wings in oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place wings on grill rack and bake for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees.
Cheesy Pesto Bread
- Round loaf of bread – we recommend the Pain de Campagne from Terra Breads. It’s an organic sourdough bread that happens to be the perfect shape!
- Pesto – we recommend the Basil Pesto from The Stock Market at the Granville Island Public Market. It’s bold in flavour, so a little goes a long way!
- Parmesan (optional) – we recommend the Parmigiano Reggiano from Benton Brother’s Cheese
Prep time: 5 minutes + 5 minutes baking
Directions: Score a criss-cross pattern in the loaf – do not slice all the way through the bread. Spread pesto between cuts. Bake for 5 minutes at 300 degrees and top with grated parmesan, to taste!
For more Super Bowl inspiration, visit our Game Day board on Pinterest! Happy feasting, foodies! And…Goooooo Seahawks!